LING FELL & SALE FELL from BRUMSTON BRIDGE, WYTHOP VALLEY

 


Summary & Summits

Walk statistics Name of Summit Height (ft) Height (m) Grid Ref
Date - 9th June 2010 Ling Fell 1224 373 NY 1796 2859
Map - OL4 Burthwaite Heights 1043 318 NY 1887 2833
Distance - 6.5 miles Lothwaite 1132 345 NY 2030 2966
Ascent - 2250ft Rivings 1099 335 NY 1976 2945
Start - Brumston Bridge (NY 185293) Sale Fell 1178 359 NY 1944 2966

 

Walk Blog

With Uncle Eric today, walking in the Wythop Valley and its surrounding hills. It is to the west of Bassenthwaite Lake, the hills representing the northernmost outpost of the North Western Fells. We had been to Ling Fell & Sale Fell in 2005 but today we were to tick off the three associated Birketts, too. The day was cloudy with drizzle early on, cold and windy - more like winter on the tops! Parked just beyond Brumston Bridge, the small car park being surprisingly busy. Setting off, crossed the bridge and walked uphill to the road junction at Eskin, going right, to soon pass through a gate on the left onto the grassy track known as the Corpse Road. This climbed steadily round the slopes of Ling Fell. We met a lady from Hampshire, who admired us and chatted to Dad and Uncle Eric. She gets to come here just a few times a year - how lucky we are to live on the doorstep! Eventually we took a path left and then struck uphill off this through the heather (hence the name of the fell), to the trig point on the summit. From here there were extensive views to Broom Fell, Graystones etc, fells we had climbed last year. Now it was south east on a clear path to reach a metalled track. This was followed right, then left, so keeping by the fence, to a gate on the left. Through this we followed a small ditch to then climb the slopes of Burthwaite Heights, Dad using the GPS to locate a near as possible the highest point on its wide flat top. The wind was such that we needed to sit in the shelter of Dad's rucksack, this too secured in place, by the sticks planted in the ground through the straps. Descended to a gate in a wall, then on down the field to another gate and on to the road at Old Scales. Walked right to the bridleway that crossed fields into Chapel Wood. Here joining a path, we went right on the grassy track that climbed gently under the trees. After leaving the wood, we continued almost to the forest, and as we climbed there was a superb view over Bassenthwaite. Just a shame that Skiddaw etc was in cloud. Just before the forest a narrow trod led easily to the ridge, where going left we were quickly at the rocky outcrop marking the summit of Lothwaite. The clear track on the wide grassy ridge led on to Rivings, but first we sheltered out of the wind in a little hollow to eat our lunch. Then it was just a short stroll on to Rivings (when Bill Birkett wrote his book, the summit was unmarked but now there is a large cairn). Sale Fell was away to the right, an easy climb leading to its flat rocky summit. A wide clear path led down in the direction we had to go, eventually meeting the footpath from Kelswick to Wythop Church, close by a wall. Here we followed went left on the path to Kelswick. Here, joining the road and turning right we were soon at the car. An interesting walk, and we all had enjoyed fully exploring the area. Everyone bagged the Birkett tops, Little Eric and Uncle Eric bagging the Wainwrights too. returning to the main A66, two stops were made, first to look at the buildings in the hamlet of Wythop Mill, that had once been a mill, then to visit Wythop Church (see below) with its tidy graveyard and interesting adjacent building that once was the Sunday School. Refreshment time now. We had the rest of our picnic sitting in the car and discussing the adventure, while Dad and Uncle Eric had a refreshing pot of tea and cake at the Tea Rooms in Portinscale.

Allen

 

Walk Scenes

Our path in Chapel Wood larger image The Wythop Valley towards Lord's Seat larger image

 

Uncle Eric climbs towards Lothwaite with Bassenthwaite & cloud covered Skiddaw behind larger image

At the summit of Lothwaite larger image

 

Old barn at Wythop Mill larger image St Margaret's church, Wythop larger image

St Margaret's church, Wythop
The church is dedicated to St Margaret of Antioch, and was consecrated on July 31st 1866 by Bishop Waldegrave of Carlisle. It is built on land that belonged to the Vane estate, the manor having passed over the years from the Lucys to the Lowthers, Fletchers and then the Fletcher-Vanes, who still hold it, Lord Inglewood (Richard Vane) being well known locally.

The building is unusual having its porch on the north side because of the fell-side site. The original building cost was the then considerable amount of over £1000

back to blog walks

back to 2010 log

shopify analytics