Date - (1)4th March 2012. (2) 19th February 2017. (3) 27th April 2020

Distance - (1) 6 miles. (2) 6.75 miles. (3) 8 miles
Ascent -
(1) 480ft. (2) 695ft. (3) 700ft
Map - OL7 Start point - Eaves Wood car park (SD 471759)


Summits Achieved

No summits were climbed on this walk



Allen & Tetley, were sitting quietly reading when Shaun and Little Eric came strolling in.

"We bring tea, and news of our next walk", said Little Eric.

"Ooh great", cried Allen, "I'm gasping for a drink."

"Same as always", laughed Tetley, going to get the mugs and biscuits.

When settled, Allen asked, "where is the walk to be?"

"Dad said that it is ages since we walked in the Silverdale area, which is quite delightful, so we are to repeat the walk starting from Eaves Wood", explained Shaun.

"I have never done it at all", added Little Eric and I can count it as my 4th birthday walk, which was yesterday." (1st March -Ed)

"It is interesting so you will enjoy it", remarked Tetley. "It will be nice for us too, as it was six years ago when we last did this walk, with Uncle Eric."

"Where's Grizzly", asked Shaun.

"Watching Fringe with Dad and his other TV pals."

Better save him some tea as I am sure he will be along once the programme ends.

"Roll on Sunday", cried Little Eric draining his mug and holding it out for a refill.


19th February 2017
Repeating this walk, enabled our pal Southey to explore this area. The weather was very grey and misty with some light drizzle at times. None of us, apart from Dad, had been to the Pepper Pot, that stands on the ridge above Eaves Wood. This was rectified today, enabling us to include a picture to illustrate our narrative, and accounting for the extra distance and ascent. Sadly the cloud and mist obscured what would have been a super view. Well it makes a good excuse to get Dad to take us there again sometime, on a clear day.

27th April 2020
We are in the grips of the COVID-19 crisis, but it is allowable to drive a short way to walk, so decided to repeat this walk. The day was sunny throughout and mild with a nice cooling breeze. The National Trust had closed off Eaves Wood car park, so instead we parked on Storrs Lane, a little way past the RSPB centre. Then walked to and along Red Bridge Lane, to arrive at Eaves Wood. Dad had decided not to take the camera today, so omitted the Pepper Pot. Perhaps we should have gone up to it as the views would have been good. Still we are sure we will do this walk again in the future. Sat on a few seats to rest and enjoy the lovely views. First in Eaves Wood, then at the Cove, where we had lunch, and then later near Jenny Brown's Point, and finally on The Row opposite a pool. At The Row, today went right to then take the path over the deserted golf course and on to Red Bridge Lane near the station and so to the car. Nice day and passed a few hours on what are long days at present due to the lockdown.


The Walk

All eager, we threw back the curtains, to find the rain falling steadily.

"It does not look very promising", said Little Eric dejectedly.

By now Allen had grabbed Dad's iPad, and was opening the Met Office app. "The forecast shows that it will brighten up by mid morning, so we should still get out."

So we sat patiently, and by about 11.00, the weather was indeed clearing up. "Right Lads, get yourselves ready, we are setting off in about 10 minutes", called out Dad.

We called goodbye to Uncle Brian as we ran out to the car, then we were on our way, going via Carnforth and on to Warton, where we turned left, following the road as it skirted the RSPB reserve at Leighton Moss, and crossing the railway line. At the junction we went right and then left at the next, where almost immediately the National Trust car park at Eaves Wood was to the right. There was ample space to park today.

Our route was through the gate at the rear of the car park, and as we strolled along, the machine gun like noise of a woodpecker could be heard, busy in one of the trees.

Coming to the signed junction Shaun said, "our route is left eventually to The Cove." He then went on, "The Pepperpot is depicted on the signpost, and stands on Castlebarrow."

Due to the wet winter the paths were all very muddy today, none more so than the ongoing track through Eaves Wood.

As we were to find out the route is well waymarked, but Dad said, "when I originally did this walk back in 1986, there were very few if any signs."

The path divided a couple of times, one leading up to the Pepperpot, but Shaun instructed, "we always take the left fork."

In 2017, as mentioned, an ascent was made to the Pepperpot upon which is a plaque reading 'The Queen Victoria Jubilee Monument 1887'. This commemorates her Golden Jubilee.

To the left stands the smaller cairn having a viewpoint indicator, celebrating the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II.

Along the main track, a high fence had been erected round some of the woodland, that seemed in some way to have been cleared. Inquisitively, Little Eric asked "what is going on here."

"There's a sign over there", called out Grizzly. "Lets go and have a look."

This told us that the area had been coppiced, which is a traditional woodland management technique. The trees are felled, leaving just the stumps to grow new shoots. When long enough they are harvested and used by local people to create charcoal and items for the home and garden.
The reason for coppicing it to prevent wildlife habitats being lost and ensure that crafts people have a locally available source of material.
Coppicing allows extra sunlight to reach the woodland floor encouraging flowers to grow, and attracting insects and butterflies. The insects in turn provide food for birds and mammals, so as a consequence more wildlife species are able to live in coppiced woodland.

"How interesting", remarked Little Eric. "It is nice to see that traditional methods are still being used."

Continuing on, in a short while we passed by some rocks on the right. Tetley said, "that small shelf like area will be an ideal place for us to sit for our picture."

The ground was muddy and wet however, Dad saying, "you must sit on the map case so you don't get wet."

"How very thoughtful", said Allen. "Thank you."

The track now came beside a tall stone wall on the left, then soon descended a little to a narrow road, which we crossed to continue ahead in front of some houses.

"What a nice view of Silverdale", commented Shaun, looking to the left. "Nice picture don't you think Dad?"

A narrow gap between walls led onto Walling's Lane, and where it turned uphill, we kept ahead through the wall gap... soon come to the road. Then at the next junction it was left down the narrow cul-de-sac to the Cove. Note the cave in the cliff on the opposite side.

This looks out across the vast expanse of Morecambe Bay, but we thought this shot over the promontory to Grange over Sands, backed by Hampsfell, was more interesting.

Quiet and tranquil here with just a few other people, we decided to have lunch. Slipping his rucksack off, Allen then passed round the sandwiches. "There is cheese and pickle, and tuna and sweetcorn today", he announced.

"Lovely", replied Grizzly, helping himself.

"I made up green tea, to drink", said Shaun.

"That's fine", replied Tetley. "It is very good for you."

"The triple chocolate cookies are not so good for us though", laughed Little Eric, "but they are really scrumptious."

It was just lovely sitting here, and we could have stayed longer, but there was still much of the walk to do, so we needed to be getting on. However before we settled again in Dad's rucksack, he kindly took our picture sitting on the pebbles.

From the Cove, the narrow path runs along the top of the cliff. In 2017, we noted that a section of the cliff had collapsed, leaving a large tree in a seemingly precarious state. We considered this was another consequence of the storms in December 2015.

The narrow path led us out into fields, known as The Lots. This peninsula of Arnside and Silverdale is a limestone area and dry stone walls abound, like these looking over to Silverdale church.

A the end of the fields, a stile and stone steps led down to the road close by the Silverdale Hotel.

A significant place, as it can be said to be where Dad had his 'Damascus' moment. Not long after Dad came to live in Morecambe in 1980, he explored the area, going one evening to the Silverdale Hotel. Had he not done so, then it is quite probable that we would not have become the Hug walking group and this website would itself not have been written. On that fateful evening, he saw at the hotel a Boddington bear, like our chief hug bears Fred & Gladly. He wanted to adopt the bear, but money was so tight, that he could not afford even the modest sum of £8.99. Over the following weeks however the sum required was saved, but to Dad's dismay when revisiting, he was told that the bear had been sold. All was not lost though, as he was given a leaflet, and by mail order Gladly, the first bear in our Hug was adopted on 14th August 1981. His brother Fred, who is Uncle Brian's special bear, was later adopted on 27th March 1982. Here they are in 2010. Gladly is on the left.

From these small beginnings, the Hug has now grown to about 550, and this happy band likes nothing better than to be out in the wilds of the mountains or strolling across the countryside.

Right, back to the story. At the road it was left, and then ahead at the junction, to go immediately right on narrow paths towards Woodwell.

Down through Woodwell Cliff the water permeates, though the limestone, and is collected in a rocky basin at its foot.

This in turn feeds Woodwell Pool, where once the people of Silverdale, would come to wash their clothes.

"You said this would be an interesting walk, Tetley", said Little Eric, who was fascinated by the spring and pool.

"Our route is right on the narrow path between the cliff and the pasture", pointed Shaun.

The path climbed steeply to the road, Shaun instructing, "turn right."

This took us past the Wolf House Gallery. A nice place to visit, and there is a tearoom too.

"I know you would like to, but there is not time to visit the tearoom Dad, as there is still quite a long way to go", said Grizzly. "Anyway judging by the number of cars, the tearoom is probably full."

At the end of the buildings we turned left, and Shaun said, "soon we go through the gate right onto the grassy area called Jack Scout."

"Look at that finely preserved example of a limekiln", pointed Tetley. "A picture for the story please Dad."

This open area can be wandered at will, but we kept mostly to the left side, descending slightly to cross the fence, and then round onto the shore and along in the direction of Jenny Brown's Point. Doing some research later, Grizzly told us "this is named for a lady who lived on the shore in the 18th century. Copper was once mined in the hillside, and the chimney we saw, is what remains of the smelting plant."

"Goodness me", called out Allen. "It's a good job we are not across the bay, as we would have been certain to have got a good soaking."

Dad exclaimed, "you're right Lad", as he snapped off this shot.

Continuing on the beach and then the grassy path, and passing through two gates in the process, we arrived at the foot of Heald Brow.

Just here a couple were sitting on the banking. If you have read some of our other stories, you will know that Dad is very sociable, and true to form he engaged them in conversation. It turned out that they lived in Hellifield, which is on the A65 beyond Settle.

Dad said, " I drive along there every Monday, going to Feizor."

"Oh you go to Elaine's tearooms", he replied. "You get good food there too", he went on.

"You're right there", replied Dad. "It is pretty busy most days too."

The gentleman then went on, "she has never had to advertise, the trade coming solely by word of mouth."

Saying goodbye, we commenced the climb of Heald Brow. It is not particularly steep or a long climb, but the extremely muddy and slippy path made for a bit of difficulty, as Dad had to go with care, to prevent him falling on his face in the mud. If he had, we have to admit we would have found it difficult not to laugh! Finally the climb levelled off and we continued across pasture, where there were sheep with their lambs. Fortunately they were too far away for Dad to take any pictures. Here a hail shower passed over, but it did not last long, and soon it was dry once more.

The road was reached, opposite where we had come up from Woodwell earlier.

"We take the cliff top path, signed 'The Green'", called out Shaun.

The rough narrow path led through the woods, and then into a clearing. The approach to which was, as can be seen very muddy.

Beyond the gate, the path curved right to then run along above the trees in the rear centre of the picture. Passing through a further gate, into more woodland the path led on, coming to a wooden door in a wall. This was a private entrance to a property, and our route was sharp right between a stone wall and fence, and so to the road at Silverdale Green.

"We need to take the second path on the left", called out Shaun, looking at the instructions.

"Thanks lad", replied Dad.

The route was through a cluster of houses, before becoming a narrow path between a wall and hedge. At the end we went on through the small gate, out onto the open pasture with Eaves Wood distantly ahead.

"We are aiming for the extreme bottom right of the pasture", said Shaun.

You will note too that there are sheep in the field and as we approached we saw that there were lambs too. Usually the ewes shy away when people approach, but unfortunately one with her two lambs, seemed to be curious, and was happy to pose when Dad lined up the camera.

"Darn", said Allen. "We were doing so well for there being no sheep pictures in this story."

"I know pal", replied Little Eric, "but it really makes a nice shot, and the lambs are cute."

At the bottom, we rounded the wood to very shortly reach the road.

"Go right, then soon left as signed, along by a wall", advised Shaun. "Then over the stile on the right, and cross fields heading for the road called The Row."

As we neared the road, we saw in a garden a cow.

"That's odd", remarked Tetley.

Dad stopped and we stared across at it. We stood for all of half a minute, and noted that it did not move a muscle.

Finally Grizzly called out, "it's a statue."

None of us Dad included had seen the like before, and we had to try and get a picture. However the owners were working in the garden and Dad thought they might object to this. Reaching the road, we were now much closer to it, and hiding behind a large bush by the road, Dad was finally able to snap a shot. It is without a doubt pretty realistic.

Now, we just walked on along The Row, to find the car park immediately opposite at its end.

"Thank you for a lovely walk", said Little Eric. "I have really enjoyed the exploration of this area."

"I guess it's cake time now", laughed Tetley.

"Sure is", Dad replied.

He went to the Brief Encounter Refreshment Room on Carnforth Station. He ordered tea, with a piece of chocolate caramel shortbread and chocolate cake. Of the latter there was what Dad considered just one slice left, so he could not believe his eyes when the assistant cut the piece of cake in two. How mean we thought when Dad told us afterwards!

So that was the end of another nice adventure, and all that remained was the few miles drive home.

As we arrived at the car in the day in 2017, Tetley said, "refreshment time Dad?"

"Yes lad, and I am going to the cafe on the shore at Hest Bank."

"Well you had a nice snack when you went recently with Uncle Eric", replied Southey.

And so it was today. He had a nice cheese and tomato toasty, piece of carrot and ginger cake and warming pot of tea.

Meanwhile we sat in the car to have our sandwiches, cake and tea. It was nice to get warm and dry out, having got a bit damp in the drizzle.

And finally, for Southey's sake , we have to include this picture, taken by the path on the descent from the Pepperpot.


shopify analytics