STENNERSKEUGH CLOUDS & FELL END CLOUDS

 


Summary

Date - 18th December 2007 Distance - 6 miles
Map - OL19 Start point - Road side parking Cote Moor (NY 738016)

 

Summits Achieved

Name Height (ft) Height (m) Grid Ref
Stennerskeugh Clouds 1536 468 NY 7444 0050
Fell End Clouds 1500 457 SD 7385 9979

 

The Walk

We met up with Uncle Eric at a place called Cote Moor near to the village of Ravenstonedale in Cumbria. Once Dad was ready we jumped into his rucksack and set off. The walk up the hills was only short so to add some distance we first took a pleasant walk across the fields climbing numerous stiles to get over walls and fences. After passing a few isolated houses and farms we came to a narrow road passing by the farmhouse of Stouphill Gate.

Now Dad is a real chutney face and eats jars and jars of it, so the sign that greeted us was heaven sent for him! He found a jar of apple chutney but only had a £10 note and there was not enough change in the honesty tub on the tray. Luckily for Dad, Uncle Eric came to the rescue and the jar was tucked away in the rucksack. There were quite a few pounds in the tray and it is nice to think that it can be left without any one stealing it. Now if you look more closely at the photo you might notice at the right top in the distance a signpost. This marked our ongoing route over more fields to Bowber Head. As well as a caravan site it is the home of Cumbria Classic Coaches and we were all delighted to see the old buses and coaches that they operate.

This is a Guy Arab III built in 1951 (it is as old as our Dad is too!) and originally operated by a bus company called Lancashire United. It has an interesting radiator cap, that reads "Feathers in our Cap" and at the bottom Guy Motors Ltd. This fascinated us.

There were others including these -

That on the left is an AEC Regal coach from 1948 originally owned by Florence Motors of Morecambe, which is of course where we live. The other is a Leyland Tiger PS1 from 1946 originally operated by Preston Corporation Transport. Uncle Eric and Dad really do find us some interesting things to see? If you want to find out more about the buses then go to the website www.cumbriaclassiccoaches.co.uk

Further walking along narrow lanes and fields eventually brought us almost back to the car. This was the hamlet of Stennerskeugh and a walled estate called The Street. Before we started up the hill Uncle Eric showed us this castellated folly. Due to the high wall it was difficult to get a photograph so please excuse us if this is not very good.

This is a remnant of Hwith House that was demolished in 1927. It was a fine house built in 1868 by John Hewetson, who gave it its strange name composed of the initials of the first names of his five sons.

Finally we now commenced the climb and after about half and hour we reached the top of Stennerskeugh Clouds. A modest hill but interesting for areas of limestone outcrop known as limestone pavement originally formed millions of years ago.

Due to the solubility of limestone, limestone pavements are associated with some very curious and unusual landforms. The most characteristic surface feature of limestone pavements is their division into blocks, called clints, bounded by deep vertical fissures known as grikes.

Leaving the ridge of Stennerskeugh Clouds we contoured left round a small valley to reach the summit of Fell End Clouds and more limestone pavement. From here there was a good view back to Stennerskeugh Clouds.

Dad took our photograph at the cairn.

The guidebook we were following then said to aim for a prominent tree, still standing some 35 years on! It was then a steady descent passing an old limekiln. These and others like them were used extensively following the agricultural revolution to burn limestone and so produce quicklime which was used by the farmers to spread on the land to reduce the acidity of the soil.

Soon after we reached a narrow road where we turned right to return to the car. It was straight and reference to the map confirmed that it was once a Roman Road. And so ended a fascinating walk. During the whole walk we did not see another person. Just wonderful especially when we thought about all the crowds there would be in the towns and cities rushing about Christmas shopping. Uncle Eric and Dad then drove to the village of Newbiggin on Lune, where they went to a cafe called Lune Springs for their lunch. We had our sandwiches sitting in the car. Well, we were hungry by now.

back