10th - 15th SEPTEMBER 2023



The railway bears, were sitting quietly reading their members magazines, while enjoying a mug of tea, when Fred and Gladly, our Chief Hug Bears, strolled in.

"Hi", said Chuffer. "Would you like some tea?"

"That would be nice", replied Gladly. Then taking a sip went on, "it is very flavoursome."

"Ramblears tea", said Scooter. "It is STAG's special tea, that Dad gets for them in Cockermouth."

"No doubt instigated by tea belly Allen", laughed Fred. "It is safe to say he is the president of the 'Tea Drinkers and Cake Stuffers Society'."

"It is concerning you and STAG that we came to discuss", went on Gladly. "It's not long now until Dad's holiday to Raithwaite Hall. He intends to take you all on the NYMR again, and also is resolved to do a walk."

"Great", cheered Higson.

"That will be 14", replied Dunstan. "I recall that Uncle Brian once imposed a limit of 8."

"Yes", agreed Fred. "But you and STAG a special groups, and so in Gladly and my opinion do not count towards the 8, my Dad stated."

"Clever thinking", laughed Dale. "You two are not chief hug bears for nothing."

"Then who else besides you two, are going?", asked Summer.

Gladly replied, "Byron who was adopted in Whitby, and Ruswarp who was adopted from the Mallyon Spout Hotel. Then to complete the holiday hug Clare and Jack. They were adopted from Stella Bolland in Leyburn. Uncle Gary, the concierge at Raithwaite knew Stella, so we are sure he will like to see them."

"Super", cheered Chuffer. "Here's to the best Dad in the world", raising his mug in salute.

Scooter turned to Higson. "We had better go and tell STAG the good news. They will want to get on with researching a route to suggest to Dad."


Fred & Gladly were in charge of seeing that we were all ready for the journey.

"Dad has to pack etc. but we will be setting off around 12:00", Fred told us.

"So we must make sure we are ready by that time.", went on Gladly.

He was true to his word, the route being the same as when we had gone before.

As we approached Tebay, Tetley pointed, "there are the Howgill Fells. We had many adventures over the years on our own and with Uncle Eric, climbing them all."

"Dad was good enough to repeat a number of them so that I could also complete the challenge", added Little Eric.

There were no delays and we arrived at Raithwaite about 14:45.

"Whose going in with you to check in?" asked Chuffer.

"Byron", replied Dad. "After all you were adopted in Whitby."

As I walked in Andrew and Jenny on reception recognised Dad and welcomed him. They liked Byron and he got fussed. Dad explained that he had been adopted in Whitby. We then waited patiently while Dad brought his luggage in, during which he saw concierge Gary.

Dad said, "hi, good to see you. I have brought two of Stella Bolland's bears. They are in the car."

"I'll come and see them", he replied. "What are their names."  

"Clare and Jack." 

"What super characters. Stella was a true artist at making bears."

"Brian and I had many visits to her workshop in Leyburn, and I reckon that I never left without adding at least one to my Hug."

Gary then helped Dad bring in the rest of the luggage and we soon followed and settled in our usual room 215, overlooking the orchard.

Byron, Clare and Jack together with the railway club took over the chair.

"Come on pals", called out Tetley. "We can sit on the table and discuss the walk we will be doing."

Fred sighed, "I am tired after the journey, so come on Gladly let's rest on the bed. You can come and chat to us Ruswarp."

Dad always likes to have a massage when on holiday, so off he went to the Spa to see what was available. He was soon back, Gladly asking, "any luck?"

"Yes, I've booked a full body massage for 17:00 tomorrow. It will be nice and relaxing after the day out."

So that was that. Dad went for a lovely dinner, and thanks to Byron and Higgy, we had room service.


A walk for some of us to Sandsend had been suggested by Dad, but Higson said, "Ruswarp, it would be more exciting if you were to visit Goathland, where you were adopted."

"Those were my thoughts actually", he replied.

"I'm sure Uncle Gerry will agree", went on Fred. "You could perhaps visit the Roman Road. I recall some of our pals went there on the same holiday that you were adopted."

"Can we come along too, called out Clare and Jack."

"And me", added Byron.

"Of course" agreed Ruswarp.

Dad readily agreed, but there was a bit of coming and going before we left. He had seen Lucy at reception and took the iPad to show her pictures of us in the room.

"Right I'm ready", announced Dad.

So we trooped out of the room, Gladly calling out, "have a good day pals."

Mel was at reception as we passed, so Dad stopped for a little chat and we got introduced.

Settled in the car, Dad programmed the Satnav and off we went, and before too long we were dropping down into Goathland.

As we neared the church Ruswarp pointed and called out, "there's the Mallyan Spout Hotel where I as adopted. It was 30th June 2010.

Just past Dad parked on the verge and we scrambled out heading towards the hotel and passing a walled enclosure.

"What is that?" asked Jack.

"It is a pinfold" replied Dad. "If a sheep, for instance, was found wandering and the owner is not known, it would be put in the pinfold. When the owner came to claim the animal, he had to pay a fee. It is the origin of the saying 'pin money'." 

"Let's have our picture taken on the seat", pointed Clare.

l-r Ruswarp, Jack, Clare & Byron

As we strolled on Byron commented. "look at that sheep sitting in the middle of the road."

"Well, this is their home. They can sit where they like", said Dad. "I recall one morning driving over Birker Fell in the Lake District to meet Uncle Eric. I came round a corner to find the same situation. Being its home it refused to move and I had to edge round. Uncle Eric had had the same experience when I mentioned it."

"If you sit on the wall I can take your picture outside the hotel", said Dad.

"Ok", replied Ruswarp, jumping up.

"Time for a snack", said Dad pointing to The Coach House beside the hotel.

Tea and chocolate caramel shortbread. "Mmm, delicious" said Ruswarp. Then sharing with his pals.

Dad explained about Ruswarp, the gentleman serving saying, “we still sell the same bears.” 

"Look", pointed Clare, "there is one of your cousins in the display above our heads."

"Right, time to see if we can find the Roman Road", said Dad.

We continued to follow the Satnav, taking us down the narrow lane ending at Hunt House.  "Despite this being the postcode it is clearly not the correct location", commented Byron.

On asking a gentleman who lived at the house he said, "I am not sure exactly how to get there but it is some miles away."

"That tree will make a nice picture", said Jack.

At the junction is a standing stone. "I wonder if it is ancient?" mused Clare. "Let's have our picture sitting by it."

We are grateful to Grizzly, member of the walking group and researcher who told us, "although the latest OS maps indicate it is a standing stone, in reality it is only a fairly modern waymarker. In the Historic England List Entry, it is described as a waymarker, probably 17th or early 18th century."

Continuing towards Egton, we were still miles away from the Roman Road, and as Dad admitted lost, so he turned back.

"Look at that monument a little way off the road", called out Ruswarp.

"Oh yes", replied Dad. "After not finding the Roman Road, we must go and see it."

Having got his boots on, it was over the stile and we scampered along the clear path.

Afterwards Dad had asked a couple who were heading to the memorial if they knew about it, the gentleman replying, "it was erected by the Egton estate in memory of a trainee First World War pilot who crashed and died here.” 

"Thank you", replied Dad.

Later Grizzly once again did some research and told us, "the cross, known locally as Swinsty Cross was erected under the instruction of Mr JK Foster JP of Egton Manor, in the early part of 1929. Sculpted by Mr JW Hill of Whitby, it was built by Mr R Harrison of Glaisdale.
The First World War was the first conflict where aviation played a major role for all the combatant nations involved. In 1912 the Royal Flying Corps (RFC) was established and the Admiralty's Royal Naval Air Service (RNAS) followed in 1914. On 1st April 1918 the RFC and RNAS were merged to form the RAF (Royal Air Force). At the end of the First World War official figures recorded 14,166 air service casualties of which some 8,000 had died during training.
The cross on Castle Hill, In Moor, above Egton Bridge, commemorates one such death. Francis Holt Yates Titcomb RN was a Probationary Flight Officer in the RNAS. Flying a Maurice Farman Longhorn, he took off from RNAS Flying Training airfield at Redcar to complete his first solo flight on 15th April 1917. Unfortunately he encountered snow over the moors and crashed on Castle Hill. He was carried from the wreckage to High Burrows Farm, where he died. He was just 19."

We sat on the seat by the cross....

....that overlooks Castle Hill, the scene of the crash and reflecting on it.

"Please take our picture at the cross, Dad", said Byron.

"What do you want to do now?", asked Dad.

"Let's go back to Goathland and visit the railway that Higson and pals have told us about", suggested Clare.

Dad parked in the same place and we then walked down to the station.

"We must have our picture at the station insisted Jack. Let's sit by those old milk churns,"

"Look called out Ruswarp there's a train arriving."

Then another pulled in heading in the Whitby direction hauled by 5428 Eric Treacy. "Get a picture please", called out Byron.

Once they had departed peace returned to the station, and Dad said, "time for a snack at the cafe."

Dad had tea and a bacon bun...

...while we had some nice cake and tea.

It was clear that another train was due so we crossed the line by the footbridge and sat waiting. "Look at penalty sign", pointed Clare. "These days it would realistically be much much more."

Soon the train arrived hauled by the mighty 92134, amongst the most powerful steam locomotives built. "Oh it is so noisy", cried Byron who like the rest of us put his paws in his ears.

Our visit over, we walked up from the station passing the Goathland Hotel.

"Why does it say The Aidensfield Arms on the gable end?", asked Jack.

"Because Goathland was the location of the fictional village Aidensfield in the television series Heartbeat." said Ruswarp. "In the early series the filming took place in the hotel."

"Uncle Brian and I stayed there long ago in 1993", added Dad.

Ruswarp then pointed, "there's Scripps Garage, from the series, now a souvenir shop."

Jack said, "there's a sign for the Centenary Walk. I noticed one near the church. Perhaps we could follow the tracks to the other end of the village."

"Ooh yes", enthused Clare. "It will be like the adventures that STAG go on."

So off we went along the wide track.

Reaching a junction the sign gave us clear directions.

Through the caravan site the path led on with helpful duck-boarding to get over boggy sections. "We must have our picture on the walk like STAG", said Byron.

The path became fenced, and there were sheep grazing in the fields. "We know how Allen does not like sheep pictures, but we are not so inclined", laughed Jack.

Soon as Jack had predicted we reached the road by the church.

Byron said, "having walked down earlier we have in effect done the whole 2 mile walk."

So back to the hotel now. "That has been quite a day", said Ruswarp. "Thank you Dad."

"Yes", agreed Clare. "The fact that we did not get to the Roman Road has not bothered us."

As we came in Mel was at reception and she gave Ruswarp a hug, while Dad briefly showed the pictures he had taken.

While we rested in the room telling our pals about the day, Dad deservedly went for his full body massage with Leia.


We threw back the curtains, Higgy letting out a groan, "it's raining, just as forecast,"

Scooter had the iPad and checking the weather, said, "it is set in for the day."

"The forecasts for tomorrow and Thursday are good, so the plans for the walk and trip on the railway are still on course" went on Dunstan who was looking over Scooter's shoulder."

Well after yesterday, Dad deserves a rest", said Gladly.

We spent the day in the room, while Fred and Gladly kept Dad company in the lounge.

"I'm taking the laptop as it will be a good opportunity to write up the story of the walk up Binsey."

"Oh thanks", said Tetley, "it will be good to get that on the website."


It was to be such a good day from the weather point of view. Dad said, "we are doing the walk today."

Allen went on, "we know that there is not the extra train tomorrow due to the dining service, but we hope you will not mind."

"Of course not", replied Higgy. "After all we did the journey in May, so it is good of Dad to agree to take us this time."

The account of the walk is the subject of a separate story that can be accessed by clicking the link. Cleveland Way

However here are few pictures of our day to whet ones appetite.

Firstly we pose before starting the climb up the cliffs.

l-r Southey, Grizzly, Shaun, Allen with Little Eric & Tetley

With some miles under our paws and nearing Ravenscar, we look back to the route we had taken along the cliffs, and Robin Hood's Bay.

From Ravenscar, our return route was the Cinder Track, part of the long closed railway line between Whitby and Scarborough. Here is one of the over bridges.

A convenient seat allowed us to pose once again.

As Tetley says, "it was a grand day out, and we thank Dad as always."

We hope you will enjoy our full account.


As Dad opened the curtains, Allen called out, "look there are two deer in the orchard."

We all gathered round to watch them until they wandered off, Dad getting a nice shot.

The excitement over Dale said "it's our day out."

"Yes, the Railway Club on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway, once again", added Dunstan.

We must make sure we have our membership cards, and especially you Higgy to get the members rate", said Chuffer.

"I've got it have no fear", replied Higgy. "As the dining train runs today that extra service that allowed us to get off on the return at an intermediate station is not running, so it will just be a there and back ride today."

Once Dad returned from breakfast, he was soon ready and we got settled in the car for the short drive to the car park near the station.

"There's a little while until the train arrives, so let's have our usual picture taken here", said Summer.

l-r Dunstan, Scooter, Higson, Summer, Chuffer, Dale & George with Leander

As you can see those of us who are members of Heritage Railways are displaying our membership cards. So to clarify the society's are -

Dunstan - Aln Valley Railway
Scooter - Bluebell Railway
Higson - North Yorkshire Moors Railway
Summer - East Lancashire Railway
Chuffer - Embsay Railway
Dale - Wensleydale Railway
George was adopted from the Bluebell so although not a member like Scooter, he is associated with it
Leander - was adopted on the Fellsman steam special over the Settle-Carlisle line.

So, back to the day. We scampered round to the other platform and waited patiently for the train to arrive.

We soon got settled. Dunstan said, "Higgy, you George, Leander and Scooter look out of the window on the way down, then we can swop for the return trip."

"Ok thanks", replied George, "but first let's pose for a picture."

"Well then", said Chuffer, "we must have our picture too."

Being at the rear the carriage was full and a couple from Leicester sat opposite.  The lady asked about the bears, so Dad explained about them being members of railways and about my collecting in general.  Then there was some more chat at times until Grosmont where they alighted.

Onwards to Goathland, where nearly everyone got off.  The Heartbeat TV series is still a pull.

A couple from Dudley were sitting opposite the gentleman remarking, "it is being repeated on ITV3, so there is a new audience."

His wife commented, "I like the bears, and the idea of you making them members of the railways."

Dad went on to explain more about his collecting, mentioning STAG and the bears, Rex and Starbuck that go to the theatre, and Wayne and Crumble who attend concerts. There was then quite a lot of chat with them as we continued on to Pickering.  Like us they were going straight back. 

At Levisham we passed a diesel hauled service.

At Pickering, there was time for us to get off however, Leander pointing, "please take our picture sitting on that old luggage."

There was just time too for Dad to snap this shot of Repton running round...

... before we returned to the same seat, and we set off on the return.

Scooter said, "how beautiful the countryside is. So lush and green."

"So wonderful", called out Dunstan, as we rode through Newtondale.

At Grosmont the train terminated, the carriages forming a train back to Pickering.

We scampered to the adjacent set of carriages still headed by Repton to complete our return to Whitby.

There had been conversation with the couple from Dudley, but on the final leg they were not sitting by us, However we heard the lady remark, "we sat by and interesting gentleman with teddy bears.” 

The lady she addressed this to had apparently seen us as well.

So onwards through Sleights and Ruswarp and approaching Whitby, we passed under the huge viaduct over the River Esk.

Higgy told us, "that is the Larpool Viaduct, also known as the Esk Valley Viaduct. It was built to carry the Scarborough and Whitby Railway over the River Esk. Construction began in October 1882 and was complete by October 1884. There are 13 arches. It is 305 yards long and is 120 feet high. As of 2012 it is part of the 'Scarborough to Whitby Rail Trail', also promoted as the 'Scarborough to Whitby Cinder Track'. It is mentioned in chapter 6 of Bram Stoker's 1897 novel Dracula."

"Thank you pal for that most interesting information", said George.

Then the view opened out to Whitby, the skeletal remains of the old abbey standing out on the cliff top.

As we disembarked, Scooter called out , "just look at the huge queue of people waiting to return down the line."

"So good for the railway's sake", went on Dale.

"Yes", enthused Higgy. "And Dad thank you from us all for the day out." 

Dad walked up with the couple from Dudley, taking our leave at their car, and shaking hands. It was lovely to have met them, and we feel sure that they will remember us and we hope we added to their pleasure today. 

Back in the room, Dad said, "Fred, Gladly you have not been out."

"We're not really bothered", said Fred, who just likes to relax.

"Well at least come and walk round the gardens.

"Ok", agreed Gladly.

Mel was at reception and we got fussed. "I'm going down to the The Hide to relieve Gary in a little while. Come along and we can introduce you to Concierge Bob." 

Out through the bar, Dad paused to take a shot from the terrace.

"Please take our picture by the gazebo, Uncle Gerry", said Fred.

l-r Gladly, Fred

Strolling on, Gladly said, "those flowers are so colourful."

Reaching the bridge we looked down the lake, with this stunning reflection of the cloudy and blue sky.

We walked round enjoying the different views across the lake, and crossing the narrow bridge at the far end then back along the rather narrow grassy path. Fred said, "if we hop over that barrier we can have a sit and you can take our picture, Uncle Gerry."

Crossing the bridge to walk along the top path, Gladly called out, "that will make a lovely picture of the gardens bathed in sunlight."

It was then along the drive to The Hide, "That's Mel who is ahead of us", pointed Fred.

Before going in we posed once again outside. Well it is the bears' story after all!

Gary was there, and they were both pleased to see us. We got introduced to Concierge Bob.

All Mel's doing he has his own suitcase with lots of clothes etc., which he takes when he goes on holiday with members of staff.

"We must have our picture with him", enthused Fred.

Dad then chatted with them until Gary went home, and then just with Mel for a while longer.

A final dinner with room service for us, arranged by Byron & Higson, then next morning it was time to leave for home. We can say that Dad and all of us had had a super time. Thank you again to everyone at the hotel who made the stay so enjoyable, and we honestly look upon you all as friends.

Pleased to say that Dad has booked to come and stay next June, so those of us who come along look forward to more adventures.