Date - 12th September 2010 Distance - 8 miles
Ascent -
Map - OL2 Start point - Disused quarry, Storrs Common (SD 702732)


Summits Achieved

Name Height (ft) Height (m) Grid Ref
Ingleborough 2373 723 SD 7412 7455
Simon Fell 2133 650 SD 7546 7517
Lord's Seat 2079 634 SD 7592 7489
Park Fell 1848 563 SD 7645 7696



Following their previous walk, Tetley and Shaun (with Little Eric perched on his back for a better view), were quietly reading the book about Roads and Pathways in the Lake District.

"Without this we would not have had such an insight into the possible routes of High Street, at its southern end", said Little Eric.

"That's right", replied Shaun. "It enabled us to give a more accurate view in our story, when we climbed Froswick, Ill Bell & Yoke."

"There are many ancient routes", went on Tetley. "It is quite hard to take it all in, but it will add to the enjoyment of any walks we may do that take in these routes."

"Where's Grizzly?", asked Shaun.

"Watching NCIS with his pals and Dad", replied Tetley.

They then lapsed into silence and continued reading.

A little while later this quiet reverie was interrupted by the whirlwind of Allen bursting into the room, closely followed by Grizzly.

"Great news", he shouted. "While Dad was watching television, he was interrupted by Uncle Bob ringing. He is free on Sunday, so he and Dad have arranged a walk in Yorkshire."

"Where too?", asked Little Eric, excitedly.

Grizzly replied, "we are doing a linear walk, from Ingleton to Ribblehead, climbing Ingleborough, Simon Fell and Park Fell in the process."

Allen went on, "that will mean that we will have done Simon Fell and Park Fell, in the company of Uncle Bob, as we climbed them first on our own."

"What will be good too", added Tetley, "in that climbing Ingleborough by this route, we will then have summited it by all the possible approaches."

"I remember the last time", said Little Eric, "it was ever so steep up to the col on the path from Chapel-le-Dale, and it was so windy on top too".

"Yes, I do not know how we managed to hang in for our picture by the trig point", added Shaun. "Everyone else, was sensibly sitting in the shelter!"


The Walk

These fells, are situated on the western fringe of the Yorkshire Dales National Park, and as such the meeting point at Ribblehead is only about 40 minutes from home for us. Not so for Uncle Bob, who coming from Doncaster, had a much longer drive, but it was his choice to do this walk. We saw Uncle Bob's car as we arrived, but we could not see him. This was because he was purchasing a large cup of tea from the snack van that is often here, especially on Sunday.

We were still sitting in the car and we heard Uncle Bob ask, "would you like a cup, Gerry?"

That's a silly question", remarked Tetley.

"Quite", replied Allen rolling about with laughter. "Whenever has Dad been known to refuse tea."

We sat patiently while they drank this, looking across at the view of the mighty Ribblehead Viaduct, backed by Whernside, its top covered in cloud. This was to be the case with Ingleborough in the early part of the day, but after the mist lifted, good views were the order of the day.

As explained, the walk was linear, so leaving Dad's car here, we decamped to Uncle Bob's car, while Dad transferred his kit, then we drove back the way we had come, almost to the town of Ingleton. Just before the road started to drop down, Uncle Bob pulled off into the site of a long abandoned quarry, just at the boundary of the National Park, clearly indicated by this sign.

While Uncle Bob and Dad got ready, we surveyed the scene across the road, down over Ingleton, the church and long disused railway viaduct in view amongst the houses. In the distance above the viaduct, is the village of Burton in Lonsdale that we had come through on our journey this morning.

"I'm sure that the Railway Bears, have mentioned something about the viaduct and stations at Ingleton, involving a long running dispute between railway companies", mused Shaun.

"It was to do with rivalry between the London North Western Railway (LNWR) and the Midland Railway Company", replied Tetley. "There were aspirations for the line through Ingleton to become a main line to Scotland, but when they could not agree terms for running over each others metals, the Midland Railway applied to Parliament and got permission to build the Settle-Carlisle route."

"I remember now", said Shaun. "Subsequently the LNWR backed down. The Midland then told Parliament that they no longer needed to build the Settle-Carlisle line, but were told that having been given permission, they must proceed and one of the most scenic lines in Britain, was born."

For the full story about Ingleton's stations and viaduct click this link - Ingleton Viaduct. The website 'forgotten relics', is an amazing resource for anyone interested in information about viaducts, bridges, tunnels, etc on long closed and disused railway lines.

By now Dad was ready, so we settled in his rucksack, and off we went, climbing the rough ground at the rear of the car park, up to and alongside the substantial stone wall, to the good track (Fell Lane). This was our route, in the wake of the farmer on his quad bike.

As the track climbed, the view widened to the left. The sun was shining brightly on the limestone of Twistleton Scars, while behind, Whernside, its top now free of cloud, was nevertheless still dark under the cloud.

The surfaced lane meandered on its way, ending at Crina Bottom Farm, where ahead there is a fine view to Ingleborough. As we passed through the gate in the wall, and came in sight of the farm, Little Eric called out, "that's the view in the print that Dad has on his wall."

The light was constantly changing and the mist rolling in and then off Ingleborough, so providing a seemingly endless opportunity for photographs. Dad took a lot, but heaven alone knows how many Uncle Bob took. We just had to be very patient. Finally Dad said, "we had better be getting along as otherwise there will be nothing for it but to return to your car Bob!!

Oh, after all the effort I suppose we had better allow Dad to include one of the shots from this location?

So finally it was onward along the right side of the wall, the path now becoming more rough and rocky in places and muddy and slippy on the sections undergoing erosion repair. Then the climb really got underway, with three sections of steep ascent interspersed with flat areas, to attain the summit plateau. This is a broad flat area half a mile in circumference, with many objects of interest provided by man. There is a well built cross-wall wind shelter with an excellent view indicator and a column erected by the Ordnance Survey with between them a large cairn.

As we had reached the summit, Allen asked, "what is that even larger cairn just to the left."

"That is all that remains of the battlemented round tower (a hospice - shelter for travellers), built in 1830. The jollifications on the day of the opening ceremony became so alcoholic, that parts were thrown down there and then, the rest being destroyed later", replied Dad, reading from the Limestone Walks book by A Wainwright. Dad then went on, "as we head off the summit, if you look carefully you will be able to pick out the the circular foundations of huts of a settlement of the first people to live in the district, and the shattered wall of the military camp, believed to be Roman."

Armed with all this information we looked carefully and did indeed pick out these features. That was after Dad had taken our picture sitting on the trig point.

Ingleborough is extremely popular, so we were not in the least surprised to find many people wandering around the summit. We were ready for a snack, so after the photo session was over, we adjourned to the shelter to have a sandwich and get out of the cold wind. The day was clear now, so the view was extensive of the surrounding fells, and Dad and Uncle Bob, were able to identify most of them. Needless to say we had climbed them all.

Ready for the off again, we headed north, to take the Chapel-le-Dale path descending to the col. Another photo stop was taken here. First across to the distant Ribblehead Viaduct, where our walk would eventually end today. You can see the track curving round from the end of the viaduct, as it passes Blea Moor sidings and signal box, before disappearing into the tunnel under Blea Moor.

Dad, then turned the camera on Uncle Bob, who posed for what we think is an excellent picture of him.

Simon Fell was next, soon reached by following the wall round its angles and then climbing to the flat broad top of its unremarkable summit. We were not very impressed as nothing marks the summit, so kindly Dad got the flag out to add colour to our picture.

However, it does provide a good vantage point for looking back to Ingleborough. We had walked along the rim on the right, before descending via the path in the centre. The shot also gives a clear idea of the width of its flat summit, and that it is tilted slightly to the left.

From Simon's Seat, away to the right is the subsidiary summit of Lord's Seat. We had never visited this before, so it was decided to rectify this today and so add another fell to our list. However there was not a gate in the wall to give us access from this point, so Dad and Uncle Bob had to climb over, taking care to avoid contact with the barbed wire on top. We then crossed to another wall and walked alongside it to arrive at a fancy ladderstile, beyond which it was just a short distance to the summit. However for a while this was ignored as attention centred on the ladderstile , which on its far side was painted the name "Rawnsley's Leap". Perhaps a reference to the name of the people who either own the land or farm it. We sat patiently while Uncle Bob and Dad had a lot of fun, with Dad pretending to jump off while Uncle Bob took his picture.

"Can we have our picture taken now", asked Shaun.

"Sure", replied Dad.

"Right" called out Shaun, "lets climb up and settle on the top step.".

We did, and Dad snapped the shot, but not before Allen, Tetley and Little Eric had leapt off (twice). Well it was great fun!

With all the excitement over we strolled the few yards to the cairn on Lord's Seat. We think it was all the excitement too, that caused Dad to forget to take us at the cairn. Well it gives us an excuse to return here at a later date. It was well worth the walk today as there is a fine view over Ribblesdale to Pen-y-ghent and the village of Horton in Ribblesdale.

The map does not show a spot height for the summit, so when we got home we did some research on the Internet. It is in fact in the parish of Austwick, and is the highest point at 2079ft (634m). The source of this information is from a parish document.

Walked back, ignoring Rawnsley's Leap, and along the other side of the wall, before crossing a fence (again topped with barbed wire), to then follow the wall down and up for just over a mile, to then strike away from it up the slopes of Park Fell, towards the trig point marking its summit.

"Heavens how are we going to get across that", called out Little Eric in dismay.

"Don't worry pal", said Tetley reassuringly. "The path skirts round to the right, before swinging back and making directly for the trig point."

Once there, Dad took our obligatory picture, but we think we have appeared quite enough for one walk, so instead we include this shot Uncle Bob posing by the trig point.

It was rather windy, as you can see from the way that the strap on Uncle Bob's rucksack is streaming out. So, we made our way off the summit, descending steeply to pass eventually through a gate in the wall. Dad and Uncle Bob made a stop here for a sandwich and drink, and we had some of our picnic too. Shaun was extra hungry, so before setting off again, he decided to graze the lush grass.

"Right that's enough Shaun", called out Dad. "Time to be moving on, so hop up and get in the rucksack with the rest of your pals."

We now went left along a wall, to eventually climb via a stile, before continuing in a north-westerly direction crossing sections of wonderful limestone pavement. Then rounding an old quarry we walked along its access track, where away to the right were the beautifully restored buildings of Ribblehead Station.

A further 100 yards or so and we were at the road, beside the railway bridge, under which on the left is the Station Inn, with its intriguing weather forecasting station, in the form of a stone hanging from a chain.

Looking down the hill, along the road was the typical Sunday scene at Ribblehead. Dad's car is beyond the white van.

At the car we decamped from the rucksack and settled on the back seat, then Dad drove us to Ingleton and Uncle Bob's car. After getting changed Dad then drove into Ingleton village. We sat in the car having the rest of our picnic with a few welcome cups of tea. We take after Dad. Meanwhile Dad and Uncle Bob wandered round the village, coming across the chip shop, where they had fish chips & peas with bread and pots of tea, sitting outside. Good too, also saving Dad having to get a meal ready when he got home.

A cracking day!! Thanks Dad, and great to have your company too Uncle Bob.


shopify analytics